Orlando to Give Out Free Composters for Valentine’s Day
According to the City’s Green Works initiative, 24 percent of the municipal solid waste stream is food and yard waste. In an effort to reduce that number, the city will be promoting the use of house-hold composters. The City will be offering free home composters and workshops to residents of the City of Orlando, just in time for Valentine’s Day. Be sure to look at the home composting guide for more information on composting and click here to apply for your free bin.
Mayor Buddy Dyer launched Green Works Orlando in 2007 to transform Orlando into one of the most environmentally-friendly, economically and socially vibrant communities in the nation, and the Get Dirty campaign is a part of that mission. Green Works Orlando represents our commitment to utilize the City’s regional leadership position to build partnerships and share resources that foster positive environmental changes.
Over the past seven years, the City has led by example, achieving more than $1 million in annual energy savings. The foundation of Green Works Orlando was built on the concept of promoting environmental stewardship, educating people about “environmentally conscious lifestyles” and encouraging others to incorporate a concern for the environment into the everyday workings of government and private business.
Some Green Works Orlando successes include:
- * Expanded the Downtown LYMMO bus circulator and completed SunRail
- * Launched car-sharing with bike-sharing
- * Performed energy efficiency retrofits to 1,200 houses
- * Completed ten LEED-certified municipal buildings, plus two more currently under construction
- * Completed or approved $19 million in energy efficiency investments to municipal buildings
- * Converted hundreds of fleet vehicles to electric, hybrid, or compressed natural gas
- * Planted 10,000 trees and established five community gardens
- * Increased recycling collection by 35%
- * Adopted the 2012 Municipal Operations Sustainability Plan and the 2013 Green Works Orlando Community Action Plan
Source: “City to give out free composters for Valentine’s Day,” Bungalower